Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses which may cause illness in animals or humans. In humans, several coronaviruses are known to cause respiratory infections ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). The most recently discovered coronavirus causes coronavirus disease COVID-19.
Medical Unlimited International has provided a number of resources that you can use to make sure you stay safe.
Remember that we must all do our part to stay safe when it comes to COVID-19!
Remember to Social Distance!
Physical or social distancing is proven to be one of the most effective ways to reduce the spread of illness during an outbreak.
- Avoid crowded places and non-essential gatherings
- Avoid common greetings, such as handshakes
- Limit contact with people at higher risk (e.g. older adults and those in poor health)
- Keep a distance of at least two arms lengths (two metres) from others, as much as possible
The goal is to flatten the curve – to reduce the rate at which an infection spreads during an epidemic, decreasing the number of active cases at any given time by increasing the period of time over which similar numbers of cases occur.
Doesn’t matter where you are in the world, Social Distancing helps!
Know the Symptoms
- Dry Cough
- Aches and Pains
- Sore Throat
- Loss of Taste or Smell
- A Rash on skin, or discolouration of fingers or toes
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Chest pain or pressure
- Loss of speech or movement
- Those who are infected with COVID-19 may have little to no symptoms. You may not know you have symptoms of COVID-19 because they are similar to a cold or flu.
- Symptoms may take up to 14 days to appear after exposure to COVID-19. This is the longest known incubation period for this disease. We are currently investigating if the virus can be transmitted to others if someone is not showing symptoms. While experts believe that it is possible, it is considered less common.
- In severe cases, infection can lead to death.
If you get sick!
If you are showing symptoms of COVID-19, reduce your contact with others:
- Isolate yourself at home for 14 days to avoid spreading it to others
- If you live with others, stay in a separate room or keep a 2-metre distance
- Visit a health care professional or call your local public health authority
- Call ahead to tell them your symptoms and follow their instructions